American dating sites accessible to foreigners
The son of the Count (later Baldwin V, Count of Hainaut) married the said year 1169 in Le Quesnoy Margaret of Alsace, sister of Thierry of Alsace Count of Flanders: the wedding was gorgeous and the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa was present in person.
Baldwin V of Hainaut inherited in 1171 the title of Count of Hainaut in the death of his father, he was nicknamed The Brave (he was also later Baldwin VIII of Flanders).
The town with its ramparts, its castle ponds and its history (including the Revolutionary Armed bivouac and the New Zealanders Monument on the border of Valenciennes) are major attractions.
The Quesnoy is home to many small traders and a trading area of more than respectable size for a town of less than 5,000 people.
In the 9th century, the region was occupied by the Vikings who settled there along rivers.
Around the year 842 at the time of King Charles the Bald, they were blocked at Valenciennes, as the river became too narrow for their boats.
However, the historian Jacques de Guise, claims that at that time the town was founded by a brave knight named Aymond, who lived around the year 800: This Aymond was Count of Faumars (Famars) and Ardennes, also by his loyalty to the king, he and all four sons tended the deep wood, where they made a fortress and a place called Carcetus, Le Quesnoy.
Furthermore, the historian Jules Duvivier would rather name an ancient Count of Hainaut: indeed, in the 8th century, portions of territories around the present town belonged to the Leudes, fellows of the Frankish kings to whom they were granted.
The suffix-oy is the form taken by the Latin suffix -etu(m) in Picard dialect which covers some of northern France and Belgium a few instances elsewhere in the Langue d'oïl etu-(m)'.
This suffix is used to denote a set of trees belonging to the same species While not yet a town at the time of Julius Caesar, the region was occupied by the Nerviens.
There is a craft, however, firmly maintained until 1945 when a hundred shoemakers were still identifiable.
Shoemakers worked at home for a local company located in rue du Petit Valenciennes(now Désiré Tanis) in a kind of cottage industry.